My Nail Care Essentials




I've had loads of questions about how I look after my nails lately, so I've decided now is the time to dedicate a post to it. I am, admittedly, very lucky when it comes to my nails. I was blessed with very long nail beds and barely a hint of a cuticle. Therefore, I really don't do THAT much to take care of my nails, but here I'll share with you exactly what it is I do!

Click the jump to see!



Before I start, please note that the purchasing information I've included is just a guide from a quick snoop around Google...if you decide to buy, it's always best to shop around yourself first!


Everybody knows a base coat is essential to help prevent staining, but which one to use? My absolute must-have is OPI Original Nail Envy. I used to get split nails all the time before I discovered this product, and since using it my broken nails are virtually non-existent and it's also made them much stronger. I use Nail Envy 99% of the time.

The other base coat I sometimes use is Essie Ridge Filling Base Coat. I tend to use this when I'm swatching lots of polishes at once, so as not to waste my Nail Envy. 

Where to purchase?

OPI Original Nail Envy (15ml): 
UK - Amazon - Boots (Much cheaper on Amazon).
US - Ulta - Amazon 

Essie Ridge Filling Base Coat (15ml): 
US - Ulta




A good top coat prevents chipping and promotes staying power! I'd recommend investing in a quick dry top coat, such as Sally Hansen Insta-Dri, because nobody enjoys smudges or fabric imprints! It's also very helpful if you're doing nail art which involves striping tape or stamping, as you can dry your base in seconds so it won't be ruined by the stamper or the tape. 

Another good top coat is NYC In A New York Color Minute, which I first discovered on The Nailasaurus. It's not as quick drying as the Sally Hansen, but it's super glossy and my manicures last a long time when I use this.


Where to purchase?

Sally Hansen Insta-Dri:
US: Amazon - Target

NYC In A New York Color Minute:
UK: Superdrug 
US: I've been told that Target stocks NYC.



Ah, cuticles. They can be the bane of your life. Firstly I will say don't ever cut your cuticles! It's dangerous and it's not a good look. 

The stuff in the white bottle is Blue Cross Cuticle Remover, and it works wonders! As I've said, I'm lucky with my cuticles so I rarely use this, but now and again they get a little dry and flaky so I apply a little bit to the cuticle, leave for a minute or so and rub off with a cotton bud. Be sure to wash your hands after use! Note - Blue Cross doesn't come in the bottle pictured. This was sent to me by my friend Melissa and she put it in an empty polish bottle for me.

You've probably heard of Lush's Lemony Flutter before! It's a lovely rich lemon-scented butter that will leave your cuticles soft and moisturised. It's quite greasy so I tend to apply this before bed. Massage it into your cuticles, a little goes a long way!

Where to purchase?

Blue Cross Cuticle Remover:
UK - Availability seems to be difficult here. You can purchase it on Amazon, but delivery is £20! One bottle does last a long time but I'm not sure anyone would want to pay that! Delivery is slightly cheaper on eBay, but you might be better asking a friend in the US to send you some. If you have better luck finding this, let me know!

Lush Lemony Flutter Cuticle Butter (50g):
UK: Lush



Frequent moisturisation is so important in nail care, I can't say it enough! As well as keeping your hands soft, it'll help keep your cuticles soft and your nails healthy. I moisturise my hands a good few times a day, especially after a shower.

OPI Avojuice is my absolute favourite hand lotion. It feels light and silky, absorbs fast and leaves no residue. The one I'm using at the moment, Hibiscus Blossom, smells divine! The reason the bottle looks so tiny is because It's a 30ml sample size. I usually try a small one first to make sure I like the smell before I buy a big bottle!

Where to purchase?

OPI Avojuice:
UK - Lena White (you could try eBay, some have free delivery)
US - Ulta




Lastly, it's filing time! There's loads of different shapes you could file your nails into, it all comes down to personal preference. I prefer to keep mine square with rounded off edges. As of yet I don't have a more detailed post on how I shape my nails, but I will get around to it eventually!

I use a QVS glass nail file to shape them. I prefer glass files because they feel a lot less rough on the nails, plus they last longer. Mine is just a regular glass file that I found in Superdrug.

I also use a Ms.Manicure buffing block to seal the tips of my nails after I've filed them. I sometimes smooth them down too if they're feeling a bit ridgy. I don't use this to file my nails.

Where to purchase?


You can find glass files pretty much anywhere, as I said I got mine from Superdrug but I've also seen them in Boots. The Ms.Manicure buffing block is from Boots.



There we have it! I hope this goes some way to helping you in your nail care quest! If you start to look after your nails properly, you really will see a big difference after a little while.

You have read this articleNail Care with the title My Nail Care Essentials. You can bookmark this page URL http://nailsartideas.blogspot.com/2013/04/my-nail-care-essentials.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Friday, April 19, 2013

Comments "My Nail Care Essentials"

Post a Comment